David Clark Isele: Celebration Requiem

My first composition teacher was David Clark Isele. I remember the joy and intimidation I felt when I was introduced to an actual living composer. The first work of David's that I listened to with great regularity was his "Celebration Requiem".  I was still a teenager when I first encountered the work, but I have always found it to be a compelling and evocative work.

Now, over 20 years later, I thought is would be a good work for the Lincoln Lutheran Choir to perform. I took over the artistic direction of this group a year ago. David's Requiem was the main work at our Spring Concert, and we were able to bring David up for two performances.

It's always good to spend time with an old mentor. It was a fabulous weekend with performances in Lincoln and Omaha. I think that the work deserves some more performances. Below are the videos we made. A few of them have some glitches, but there is more than enough here to convince you of the power of the work.

Thank you, David, for your music, your teaching, and your commitment to making this world a more sonically beautiful place.

Celebration Requiem - David Clark Isele